Monday, June 27, 2011

Morning Workout.

Who knew that getting a load of laundry in the machine would be such a workout? We are living on the planet of BMT, which is located on the 7th floor. There are no laundry facilities on this particular floor, so I can ride the elevator up to the 8th floor or down to the 6th floor when I can no longer avoid the task. The 6th floor machine has been out of order lately, so I went up this morning.

Low and behold, the 8th floor machine is out of order. Down to the 6th floor I go, and miraculously, the machine is not only working, it is also empty. After putting Simon's clothes in and starting the machine, I discover that the laundry soap containers are all empty. (I have run into this situation before, so I know what to do.)

Another ride on the elevator takes me back to the 8th floor, where I should be able to grab a cup full of soap. Now the rules have changed. Since the machine is broken, they have locked the door. I go out to the desk to inquire about soap. The oh so helpful, NOT, attendant walks to the door, which I said was locked, and attempts the handle. Maybe I can buy soap in the gift shop? (Did I mention that she wasn't very helpful?)

Down to the first floor, where the volunteer's office is located. I am in luck. They have soap. (Not the die-free, fragrance-free soap provided by THC that I am instructed to use on the machines, but it is soap.)

Back up the elevator to the 6th floor. Soap added to the machine. Back up to the 7th floor, through the double doors, hand washing station, second set of double doors, down the hall to Simon's room. Collapse in the chair for a few moments before I head back down to move the load to the dryer.

I'd say I have had my morning workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment