Thursday, March 19, 2009

Good, But Tiring Days

First an update.



Yesterday, Simon and I arrived at the hospital at 9:00 for his transfusion. I thought we would be there for an hour or two. I should have known better!



They put him into a bed on the pediatric ward so that they could monitor him as he received the blood. We were actually in the ICU side, because the regular floor was full.



Simon thought it was great fun. He was hungry, as always. As soon as they got him settled, he was able to order as much food as he wanted. He started out with an omelet with cheese, bacon, and mushrooms. With that, he had 2 strips of bacon, some sausage, and hot cocoa. After he finished that, he ordered a sausage, mushroom, and pepperoni pizza with macaroni and cheese, canned pears, and grape juice. Finally, he ordered apple cobbler, more canned pears, and a soda! It made my stomach hurt just watching him eat all that food!



While Simon was eating all that food, they pumped 2 bags of blood into his body. It was uneventful, but it took all day. Simon was finally discharged at 3:30. Simon was a bit sad to leave the room service menu behind, but I was more than ready to be done with the hospital! It was a long day and I was very tired! (I did use the time to get my 5 days worth of Bible study done that I hadn't gotten to earlier in the week!)



Simon complained a bit about his legs getting sore from sitting so long with out moving. He got up and walked around the room a bit, which seemed to help. After we left the hospital, Simon started to cry because his knee was hurting really bad. I stopped at the store and picked up a thermometer, because he felt very warm, and I didn't want to drive all the way home and find out we had to head back into town, because he had a fever.



While it was low grade, he did have a fever. I called the clinic and was told to give him some tylenol and keep an eye on him. So we headed out to Falcon, picked up Oliver and Warren and went home. (Bob had already taken the youngest 2 kids home.)



At home, Simon's temp was up to 100.4. Not bad, but just enough to give me something to worry about. It didn't seem to be getting going up, so I left him home with Bob and took the other kids to church for kingdom kids and Bible study. I was nervous about leaving Simon, but really needed a break.



As soon as Bible study ended, I called home to check on Simon. Simon answered on the first ring and he was crying. He was so broken up that I was unable to understand what he was saying. I talked to Bob and found out that Simon was just very tired and his blankets were all messed up on his bed, and his dog still needed to come in. I told Bob to help him with the bed, and I would take care of the dog when I got home. Then I rushed the other kids into the car and raced home.



Church is only 10 minutes from home, and Simon was already sound asleep by the time we arrived. I checked his temperature while he slept. It was down below 100, so I figured the crisis had passed. I was able to get a good night's sleep!



This morning, I dropped the kids off at school and came home to get Simon for his dentist appointment. This time, he had liquid amoxicillin, which went down so much easier, all 8 teaspoons of it! Then off to the dentist for 2 hours while Simon had 5 cavities on the right side of his mouth filled. He has 1 cavity on the left, but that will be fixed in 2 weeks.



From the dentist, we grabbed a bite to eat in the car and headed into town. First stop we the music store to return the violin. That was hard on me, but had to be done. Then we payed a bill and headed to the clinic for a blood draw and check up.



Simon's hemoglobin was up in the respectable range again, thanks to the transfusion. His platelets, which had been high on Monday, were even higher today. Even his granulcytes were up to 1.8, which is incredible. The platelets have been steadily climbing, which encourages me. His granulcytes may have received a boost from the transfusion. The doctor said that often a rise in one count will pull the other numbers up.



What ever the reason, we will take today's cbc as the gift that it is. It means the next 3 days will be appointment free. The granulcytes are high enough that we will be able to get out of the house for a bit this week-end. It is a glimpse of freedom! I will be able to go to coffee with my friends in the morning, which I haven't been able to do for the last 3 weeks. I'll be able to take mom shopping on Saturday, and not feel guilty about leaving Simon home with Bob.

While I am thrilled with today's counts, I also know that it is a reprieve, not an end. Monday morning, we will be back at the clinic. Hopefully, we will have the results of last Monday's bone marrow tests. Maybe we will have some answers, and maybe not. Regardless of what Monday brings, I am going to enjoy the break and find rest for this very weary mom.

I started off with "First an update," because I have so many things in my head that I have been struggling with this week. My intent was to update and then empty my brain of those questions. I am just too tired to tackle it tonight. Thoughts will have to wait until tomorrow or the week-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment