Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Okay, so maybe not actually the saddle, but we are getting back to normal, with all its up and downs.



Yesterday marked the end of spring break. It also marked the end of Simon's exile from any kind of life outside of home and doctor's offices. I will admit, I was terrified of his transition back into school life, after being the center of attention for the last two and a half months, and being able to do a whole lot of nothing. Simon himself wasn't too sure about going back.



The day got off to a rocky start, and my fear grew. Simon had a melt down and Beau was full of tears. (Beau couldn't wait to get back to school, but was having trouble with the early morning and having to move faster than a snail!) I can't remember what set Simon off, but I did not take it as a good omen for the day. Oliver had a fever and a sore throat. I prepared myself for a rough day!



By the time we reached the school, Beau and Simon were both happy. I hung around the school, waiting for Simon to appear in the office. By the time lunch arrived, I still hadn't seen Simon. What a relief! I worked in the cafeteria and on the playground, so I saw Simon at lunch and was thrilled to hear he was having a great day. Kids who had really gotten on his nerves before he got sick were being nice to him. He was feeling great, both physically and mentally. The rest of the day continued in the same fashion. His teacher was also very pleased with how well he was handling being back.



At one point during the day, I spoke with a co-worker about how well the day was going. We talked about the fact that it was like a honeymoon period. While I was pleased, I also wondered how long it would last.



Today, both Oliver and Ezri are sick. Sore throats, achy, fevers. The crud has hit our house, but I am thankful that it waited until Simon's counts were up! Bob is working from home, so I am able to be up at the school. Today I subbed in a 1st grade classroom for the morning hours.



As I was working with a reading group, Simon's teacher came in. My first thought was, honeymoon is over. The first word's out of Mrs. H's mouth were, "Honeymoon's over." (Great minds think alike!) Simon had an issue with his math homework. More precisely, he hadn't done it. It meant missing recess. Often with Simon, once one thing upsets the balance in his life, he falls apart. He fell apart over the math, but once he got through that, he was able to turn his day around. He even went to PE, which is not his favorite subject, and he was given the choice to sit it out. That was all I heard from or about Simon, until the end of the day.



Beau and I took a load of our things out to the car, while we were waiting for Simon to be done with class and for orchestra to begin. We were heading back into the building when Simon came out of the building sobbing. It broke my heart. I held him and inquired about what the problem was.


One of the kids in his class had said some very hurtful things to Simon. He was broken hearted. We talked through the falseness of what was said as we returned to the building and looked for his teacher. It was the end of the day and Simon was so upset that he left the classroom as the class was preparing to leave. He left without a word to his teacher or anyone. Mrs. H promptly dealt with the issue, and Simon was reassured, but still feeling a bit bruised in his heart.

He remained sad through orchestra. When we picked up Warren, Simon told Warren all about it. Warren wanted to go to the school and defend Simon's honor! Of course I stopped that idea, but I was also proud of Warren for wanting to stick up for Simon. Warren doesn't see much of a need for other people, and usually sees Simon as more of a nuisance than anything. As their mother, I love to see those rare instances that prove they really do love each other!

I started this post on Tuesday, but was just too tired to finish it. Falling asleep at the computer suggested that I should call it a night and I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment