Thursday, February 5, 2009

Give Thanks, A Continuation of My Previous Post

"Simon is running out of blood, and his body isn't making any more." Give thanks. "They will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Mark 16:18b. I also find courage in James 4:15a, "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up."

A child of Simon's age and size should have 50-70% bone marrow. Simon has 5%. Give thanks. "Then Jesus answered and said unto her, 'O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt.' And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." Matthew 15:28.



"Things are going to get a whole lot worse before, hopefully, they get better." Give thanks. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving make your requests known to God." Philippians 4:6. Also Job 6:8 "Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for."



"In an attempt to cure your son, we are going to totally wipe out his immune system, which may kill him." Give thanks. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." Psalm 23:4a.



"In spite of you great health insurance, the co-pays on the medications alone may wipe you out financially." Give thanks. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." God has already worked mightely in this area in the past week. First through the generosity of a church to see that our oven is repaired. Next through the generosity of strangers who have created foundations to help with the financial burdens of co-pays for medicines, doctor's visits, and hospital stays.

On the day of Simon's surgery, I received a call from the propane company. We use propane to heat our water, operate our stove, and also to heat our home. Because the price of propane has dropped so much since last summer, and because we have had such a mild winter, we have about 5 months worth of credit on our account. One less bill to have to take care of while we go through this ordeal. I say because of God!



"Treatments will involve days spending 5 or more days a week, 8 hours a day, at the clinic, and/or lengthy hospital stays" Give thanks. "You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety." Job 11:18. "Find rest, o my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him." Psalm 62:5.



How am I going to not only care for and comfort Simon, but also tend to the needs of my other 4 children at home?



Matthew 6:26 tells us "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" The generosity of friends and aquantances in providing food for my family has been over whelming. We first learned of Simon's illness on Wednesday, and we have had an evening meal every day since then, provided by the blessings of others. While at the hospital or treatment center, I do not have to worry about what to feed the kids when I get home. That worry has been removed from my shoulder's completely. I have also been over whelmed by people willing to provide rides for my kids and help in any other area we might have a need.

In church on Sunday, we sang a song about blood and the healing power of the blood of Christ. My son is out of blood. Give thanks. In 3 days, he received 2 blood transfusions. One of platelets, so they could procede with the the surgery to install the central line needed for his treatments, which will begin next week. Without that transfusion, he would have lost too much of what little blood he has left. Then he received a unit of red blood to give him the strength to make it through the day.

I am thankful for the freedom to cry. Thankful for the soul cleansing blood of the lamb that never runs dry. Thankful that God has turned my mourning into dancing. "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy." Psalm 30:11.

I am thankful that Simon's physical strength was renewed through the blood, and my strength is being renewed daily through God and his promises in the Bible and the help of friends. "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31.

"Severe Aplastic Anemia." Give thanks. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment