Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Evening Update

Yesterday was Beau's birthday. He turned 6. We started the day with Sunday School. It is so encouraging to gather with other believer's. Yesterday was "I love my church" Sunday, so all the kids received t-shirts. By the time Sunday School was over, Simon was wiped out, so we were unable to stay for the service, but we were thankful for the time we did have. It was Simon's first opportunity to attend since his diagnosis.

After church, we came home and rested, in preparation for the afternoon. We had a busy day planned, and were praying that Simon would be able to manage.

Beau had chosen a day at the symphony for his birthday, followed by ice-cream at Good Times. Ezri's teacher plays the Viola in the Pikes Peak Philharmonic and the kids enjoy going to watch her play.

Simon enjoyed the music, but was very tired. He had his blanket with him and leaned against his dad for most of the show. Other than being extremely tired, he has been doing well.

During the intermission, Miss Hatch came down and talked to the kids. That makes the kids feel special. She wished Beau a happy birthday. When the conductor came out for the second half, he dedicated it to a special guest in the audience who was celebrating his 6th birthday, Beau Wright. Beau was sure excited about that!

Following the symphony, we went out for ice-cream and gave Beau his presents. All in all, it was a normal day, spent with family, celebrating Beau. In other word, it was a much needed break from the last 2.5 weeks!

On the way home, Simon was struck with a bad case of heartburn. I gave him some medicine, but that took a while to start working, and Simon got a bit scared. Eventually, the pain subsided and Simon had a good night's sleep.

This morning, I took Simon in for blood work and a check up. His levels have only dropped slightly since Friday, which I found encouraging. The doctor called in a prescription for stomach medicine to help with the heartburn. Simon has always had mild problems with it, but apparently the steroids can cause reflux issues.

Simon's granul0cyte levels are still high enough that small groups are okay. I would love for him to be able to attend orchestra at least a couple of times this week. It is hard for him to be couped up all the time. Whether or not he is able to go will depend on his energy level. Simple things tire him out.

I spoke with a counselor at Focus on the Family today. I was looking for resources on how to help the other kids deal with Simon's illness. I know it is hard for them to know that Simon is sick, but Simon doesn't seem sick. Life revolves around Simon right now, and that is going to be our reality for some time. The counselor gave me some ideas on how to help the other kids and is also sending out some resources.

Now we wait. Simon's next appointment is Thursday. It could be up to 3 months before we know if the treatments have worked. Patience has never been one of my strengths, so I guess God is going to continue working on that with me. "They that wait upon the Lord. . . "

I picked up a new book yesterday that I am hoping will help ME deal with life right now. It is called "The Promise: God's Purpose and Plan For When Life Hurts." I have read the first chapter and am liking what I have read so far.

Other than that, life continues, which is something I am very thankful for. As a family, we are coping. Bone weary tired is normal for Simon these days, and his mom isn't much better. As long as Simon is doing well, and Bob is home, I am hoping to be back at the school, working when I can. Substitute teaching is something I greatly enjoy and it makes me feel good about myself. It helps me to be a better mom, and I am at the school with my kids. The best of both worlds.

Hope you have a blessed week and thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment